Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sea Scouts


For me the saddest thing about the tragic degradation of changes made to the Scout uniforms over the years has been the way in which the Scouts themselves have been almost systematically robbed of their dignity. Arguably when Scouting went "mixed" in the 1980s was the ultimate humiliation end of this process.

In a way it's quite pleasing that just as the Navy over the years has to a certain extent, er, weathered the storms of modernisation, so the Sea Scouts have seemingly changed less than their land-based brothers. There's a list of the Sea Scout groups officially recognised by the Navy here. The pic above is from the website of the Southbourne Sea Scouts. (There's a pic of a trad Sea Scout group here.)

The Navy has a nice story about the Southbourne Scouts' visit onboard HMS Endurance (the Navy's Antarctic patrol ship, named after Shackleton's ship) in late September last year on its website.
For some it had was the first time they had ever been on board a Royal Navy ship, and there were definite nervous excitement as the 50 strong 1st Southbourne Sea Scouts arrived at the gangway. HMS Endurance is currently in dry dock undergoing essential maintenance prior to her extended deployment later this year, and this immediately caused confusion to some of the younger scouts. “ Has your ship got a puncture?” was one of the first questions asked. After the compulsory health and safety brief, the scouts were split into small groups and given a tour by members of the Ship’s Company, who were very impressed with the Scout’s knowledge of both Endurance and the RN. Being asked about the ship’s displacement by a 6 year old is very encouraging for potential sailors of tomorrow. The highlight of the tour was obviously the bridge and Captain’s chair, and standing on the bridge roof to see where Her Majesty had stood for the Fleet review, but they were also impressed by the selection of Playstation games available in the Wardroom.

Their visit ended with all the scouts taking part in the ceremony of Sunset, coming to attention in divisions and saluting as the ensign was lowered from the main mast. It was a fitting and unforgettable end to a visit that will be remembered by both the Ship’s Company and the Scouts.

10 comments:

Neil Welton said...

What a most interesting blog. I was particularly taken by this entry. Here are the photograghs of their visit.

http://www.visitandlearn.co.uk/
TrackHMSEndurance/ShipsDiary/
1stSouthbourneSeaScouts/
tabid/68/Default.aspx

Note the bright red cheeks of some of the Scouts as they salute the flag. Why are they bright red? One lad looks as if he is trying to hide from the camera. I know we have had a Labour Government for over a decade, but nobody should be that embarrassed about our wonderful old traditions. Mind you, this photograph brought back memories for me, for when I was aged about eight we all had to do something similar at my school - in order to honour the birth of Prince William.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr Welton for your kind words, and for the link to the pics.

It seems unlikely that any of these boy is "embarrassed". The only reason boys have red cheeks normally is because they've been exerting themselves by running around outside and doing what boys do. The only boy I notice trying to "hide" from the camera looks like a little scamp of land Scout, who's the odd one out anyway, mucking around. (Again, it's what they do!)

Neil Welton said...

Mind you, I had thought it was "because they've been exerting themselves by running around outside" but that can't be the case. There is no way they would have been allowed to run around on a Ship - for you be forgetting those Elf and Safety laws. That is why I concluded it must be embarrassment, as some of them do look rather uncomfortable as they all come to attention and salute. Anyway, I have noticed this peculiar phenomenon before, especially amongst my younger cadets. I've just never really understood why lots of boys suddenly look abashed and go bright red, just like a light bulb, when they have to salute a flag.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm! Must be something you're (not) doing to them! (Some bromide in their squash, perhaps?)

Well, I never blushed when I was a Cub, and I sincerely doubt Elfin Safety ever meant much to boys.

I'm sure these lads are glowing with pride.

Neil Welton said...

You be a right one.

"I never blushed when I was a Cub." Was that because of the bromide or because you didn't blush when feeling proud? For it is possible to feel proud without the big red cheeks. I'm also sure there is a better, and more pleasant, alternative to bromide in squash. For I don't recall drinking bromide when I was at school.

Yet, what is the cause of this most peculiar phenomenon? Is it my presence, the flag or something else? I must admit to you, Elf, that I often felt warm in the cheeks as a boy. It was awfully embarrassing at times and jolly uncomfortable too. Yet, it also felt sort of wonderful - I would often ask myself "Why?".

Anonymous said...

Ah well!

So long as you've got your elf!

Neil Welton said...

"So long as you've got your elf!"

It clearly pays me not to ask you questions.

Before I disappear from this highly amusing post, I wanted you to know that I've always been very, very curious. Have you by any chance noticed that yet? Anyway, as you know, I was a cadet, but I have always sort of thought that Scouts "had more fun". Do you think that is true? It was like we were being taught and trained to hate and to die, where you were being taught to love and live. I just remember thinking at the age of thirteen - Oh My God, they're now turning us into sacrifices (some say futile) for a Queen and Nation.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the poor grammar! "As long as you've got your health!" - clearly!

I really have no idea why you used to get "warm in your cheeks" when you were a lad. I just know that I didn't get embarrassed about being a Cub or about being British.

Scouting for boys according to the Baden-Powell method was always meant by its founder for peaceful purposes. But then aren't the Armed Forces supposed to be primarily for peaceful and diplomatic purposes as well? And indeed during the two World Wards Scouts did have their parts to play domestically - in cities as fire-watchers, and the Sea Scouts as coast-watchers.

As for fun, I really don't know. (I left when Scouting went co-ed. Dunno what that means!)

Neil Welton said...

"Sorry about the poor grammar! 'As long as you've got your health!' Clearly!"

Clearly.

"I really have no idea why you used to get "warm in your cheeks" when you were a lad."

I have no idea either, that's why I'm asking you. They just went bright red, I would also have this sort of wonderful patriotic feeling, but all the time I would feel embarrassed. I was embarrassed, I guess, because I couldn't understand why a tall pole with some cloth on it would cause me to feel proud and patriotic. It seemed and felt just daft and thus I didn't want anyone else to see. I just thought you might have a view on this peculiar phenomenon - do you?

I take all your points about these Scouts and cadets but was surprised that you didn't know whether you had fun or not. Oh by the way, let me know if I'm boring you. I have that effect.

Anonymous said...

I had plenty of fun as a Cub. I just don't know whether or not I'd have had more fun as a cadet.

Personally I've always found declarations of patriotism rather unnerving - setting oneself up in the Enemy's sights, so to speak. Embarrassment though is hard for me to understand.